Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Monday, January 17, 2011

Jane Austen, Asperger's Syndrome and other Nonsense

I continue to be fascinated by her and I love her books. I love that she was so great at writing about love, yet never married. She was known to be an "observer". She was thought to be most like Mr. Bennet than any of the other characters she wrote. She showed all the attributes of an aspergian. What is interesting to me is that people, particularly female ones, who have attributes of aspergers syndrome typically ADORE Jane Austen. It is all about not understanding how social systems work. Those of us on the spectrum have to study it. We are interested in understanding it precicely because we don't!

Thanks for writing Jane. Thanks for studying humanity. Thanks for having the sense even though you were born without the sensibilities.

Pun intended.

I love Emma. I wish I was Emma. I think I'm more of a Lydia but internet testing has proved me to be an Elizabeth. There was a time I was Marianne. Marriage cured me of that. Poor Jane. She never married, never had children. I once made the statement that she couldn't have lived in the time she did and be married AND write the way she did. My teenage daughter said I was lying. Poor Jane. She never had teenagers.

Well, we all die. Her words live on. My children will. And they will be blessed by reading her words. They will have reason to continue. A reason to go on living is a good thing. Simple pleasures keep us going sometimes.

I confess. Since my brother's death, I only want hearts and flowers. Nothing deeper than Jane Austen is allowed in my house, social work, psychology and sociology textbooks excluded of course.

I went to lunch with a good friend today. She has told me how blessed I am to be going through my Master's training at the same time I am mourning the loss of my brother. I told her I don't believe it is a coincidence that I am here. It is easier than it would be without the support I am surrounded by, but it isn't an accident or a coincidence. I worked my toushie off to get here.

I'm almost done. Two months left. I feel very accomplished...almost.

Yet a Jane Austen I will never be. Why would I want to? She already did it so well. I have to be me. That is a harry enough job...but I'm up for it!!!!!!!!!

No comments: