Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Going to Church with the No Moes in Delta

I went to church with my sister-in-law. It was a cute little building that looks more like a house of humans than a house of God. But hey, I understand how it is. I was one of the only moes in a town full of catholics in Illinois. So it made sense to me to go to church with my sis-in-law. She needs family right now. So we went. It was interesting. It is a Christian Community church. There was a woman a few rows ahead of us who was standing and waving her arms around to the Christian rock that was playing over the loud speaker with the words projected on the screen.

It was completely different than anything I had experienced - yet beautiful in its own way. The rock beat seemed out of place to me - yet I was touched by the message in the lyrics to the songs. There was a complete sense of worship in the first 20 minutes as we just sat and listened to the music and read the words on the giant screen about giving your life to Jesus and accepting him. Isn't that what I already believe anyway? There was truth there.

After a while the woman who was waving her arms gave the sermon. There were only six of us in the whole congregation after three of the adults took the kids to Sunday School. The kids consisted of mine and my sis-in-law's.

The sermon was about the apolistic church. The minister's understanding of the word seemed vague. The message was about being an apostle to Jesus and the responsibility we all have of leading in the church. I didn't necessarily agree with it all, but I found the bits of truth precious and interesting.

When I took my little 3-year-old niece to Sunday school, Christian was telling the teacher that he had never been to a Christian Church before. I couldn't believe he still didn't understand that Mormons are Christians but not all Christians are Mormons. We have had that chat on several occasions. I worried about the boys being taught rot about mormons, but not enough to not be there. I figured it would likely foster some interesting conversations and nelighten them toward their own faith. Which, of course, it did.

I felt mildly rebellious for being the granddaughter of one of the town founders and first Mormon Bishops and attending a community Christian Chruch. I wondered if Edward Leo Lyman Jr. was rolling in his grave. Let alone my Bishop brother, Ben, Dad, and other enthusiastic Moes. Somehow, I doubted any of the women would question my choice, knowing why I was there. It was out of love for my brother, his wife and their children. They are getting divorced. They need family support right now. Going to church, whichever church, is something that should be encouraged and perhaps participated in. I love my bro and his fam. I had to do something to show my love.

My fore-mothers wouldn't judge me for this. I don't question their faith in living plural marriage. It took amazing faith to do that. It has to take a truckload of faith for a minister to preach a sermon to six people. Or perhaps, a substancial paycheck. Yet, I 'get' her. She was obviously educated outside of Utah. She refers to Musllims and is rather vague about local issues.

Wow.

Can you imagine being raised in a bigger city in another state and the best job you are offered is in Delta, Utah? The town Robert Kirby refers to as "hell" incarnate? (Brother Kirby has obviously never been to Battle Mountain). Yet she makes statements like, "Becoming a follower of Christ is not about joining a church." So obviously she has done her homework.

It wasn't all that different from the Mo church. After all, we are all people.

3 comments:

Richard fleas Porter said...

Oh Lollie, you got my pea brain thinking again.

Richard fleas Porter said...

Ok, this is a very passionate subject of mine ( I have many).Since I went on my mission I have had so many good experiences with going to other churches, I think it keeps us in perspective to be the minority not the majority. When my son was in Iraq he said hardly any of the Iraqis had ever heard of Christ, again the feeling of being the minority. I think we as LDS need to stand back and look of the damage we have done with our arrogance, even the simple Testimony meeting gives me the chills when we encourage our little children to get up and say I know the church is true. That statement from a 5 year old can really make us look like we are brainwashing our kids. I wish we would encourage them to say I love my Parents and Siblings, but then again maybe that sounds kinda fishy too. haha. I have taught my kids to always be humble especially when it comes to Church. Keep up the discussions my family loves reading them.

Lollie Joy Debbiecakes said...

Richard, (I always hated your nickname - you never seemed like a fleabag to me), Your thoughts are in line with others in high places. In a May 2, 2002, letter, the First Presidency stated: "Parents and teachers should help children learn what a testimony is and when it is appropriate for them to express it. It may be best to have younger children learn to share their testimonies at such times as family home evening or when giving talks in Primary until they are old enough to do so in a fast and testimony meeting."

Where did that hideous nickname come from anyway?