Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Thursday, November 26, 2009

Philo, Mom and a tv free Thanksgiving...

Doug's alarm went off at five oclock this morning. I was SOOO not ready to be a person yet. In my dreams I was still a building. Seriously. Christian said when bad things happen he likes to be an antelope. For some reason, he thinks antelopes are very small. I guess subconsiosly I like to be an inantimate object that only moves when shaken around by tectonic shifting of the earth's crust. It sounds like I was dreaming I was a building being shook up by an earthquake doesn't it? This was my intent. I can't remember what I dreamed, but it was a good one, I can tell. It will likely come to me while I am preparing my famous stuffing.

Today is Thanksgiving. My mom died on Thanksgiving day 18 years ago. There is always something a little painful about today.

Sometimes, how much we love our families is painful. It physically hurts to lose someone you love to death. I wonder how my sis-in-law is doing without Ben this year. Yet many of us feel alone even in the crowd of our families.

Is that partly why I love television? I get to connect with stories of other lives without any of the sense of loss that comes with real live human interaction?

We are in a Hotel. The kids are in a connecting room. We have access to two televisions. I skipped around the channels and eventually landed on the discovery channel and a series about Hoarding disorder. I learned. What if television actually got to the point Philo Farnsworth had in mind? Education.

Do you know the story of Philo Farnsworth? He was the Idaho boy who invented television. His plan was for it to educate the world. Interestingly enough, it CAN serve that purpose in its present state but only if the viewer has the interest, motivation, and self mastery to allow that to happen.

No comments: