Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Planned Parenthood

I had another assignment, from another class, to go somewhere out of my comfort zone.

I was thinking about this assignment one day as I was driving past Planned Parenthood. Being the Molly Mormon Mom of 7, I don’t think I could get any further from my ‘comfort zone’ than that. I pulled into the empty parking lot and went up to the door. There was an entryway and another set of double doors. I walked into the waiting area and looked around. There was seating enough for about twenty and not a soul in sight. It was clean and neat. There were magazines and cushioned chairs.

I imagined what it would look like to a young teenage girl in trouble. It was very un-intimidating. The posters on the walls had little or nothing to do with abortion or pregnancy for that matter. I noticed a Plexiglas partitioned of area and a window. After a few minutes a young woman entered the partitioned area and appeared at the window. She didn’t acknowledge my presence in any way so I approached the window and greeted her. I told her about my assignment and told her I just wanted to ask her some questions. She was friendly and helpful and told me about the services they provide to the community. She said that on Wednesdays there was a demonstration out front and the people were not allowed to enter the parking lot or come within a certain number of yards from the building so they would march, carrying their signs at the corner.

She loaded me down with pamphlets. I smiled at the fact that while I was playing the role of social work grad student, in reality, the likelyhood of being outside holding a sign would fit better for me, personally.

She said that they offer much more than abortion services. One of their important services is birth control. She was pretty and young and confident that she was in the right place performing a needed service. My perspective toward Planned Parenthood changed just a little. People who work there really believe in what they are doing. My opinion is, they are only seeing a little slice of a much bigger picture.

Narrow view, broad path.
Broad view, narrow path.

I don't mean to sound judgemental. I don't judge her. Or them.

But I ache over it all.

No comments: