Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Grandmothers, Lilac Holman and Prayers

I have to write a 5 to 10 page paper for one of my classes. I'd rather blog.

Hello bleaders. How are you out there in cyberspace? Here in Montana, life is good. I had my nails done today by a curious little man who asked me what I was working on as I was making notes in my textbook. I told him I was writing a paper about white privilege. He asked me what kind of privileges I had. He really made me think about them.

I think he was a Sociology professor in another life. Or maybe he was just pleased a pampered white lady was taking a better look at her lucky life and considering the plight of others. I guess I don't really feel pampered, but I am. After all, I can afford to get my nails done...

...and they look great, too!

I am so shallow.

I remember when pretty nails were a luxury.

Hush little luxury, don't you cry
You'll be a necessity by and by

Love that poem.

As far as tv-lessness, I had a great workout today. Got caught up in a movie on TBS. It was 28 Days with Sandra Bullock. Great flick for a social worker. Drugs. Alcohol. Cutting. They didn't do a great job of editing out the R-rated stuff. I know, because I watched an edited version of it that I rented from Clean Flicks a few years ago.

So I moved that belt around a few bazillion times on the treadmill. Well, 45 minutes worth. Which is good for me.

Who knows, perhaps by the end of my year without cable I will be svelte and lean and mean and running marathons with Dougie!!!

and then I woke up.

I have to teach Gospel Doctrine tomorrow. Yes. I have a new calling. I'm thrilled. No, really. The lesson is on doing your family history.

Genealogy.

So I talked to Joseph about his Gran Lyman. I told him what a great lady she was, that she is where he got his big brown eyes from, and love of puppies, and musical talent. I realized that as I know without a doubt that Drew's Gran loves him, perhaps my Grandmothers love me. I never got to know either of them. Yet I feel a connection to them both.

I think Agnes was the original supermom/homemaker. That is what I like to think of her. Aunt Mary and Aunt Eleanor must have gotten their skill from her, so she had to be. When I think of Agnes I think of the house Daddy was born and raised in that he, Paula, Mary and Luke lived in for a while. It was a charming old place. Hardwood floors. Screened-in back porch. You could almost picture the old crank wash tub on it.

When I think of Agnes I think of hard work. I also think of her being taller than Edward Leo. That makes me laugh. Serves him right for marrying a 17 year old. She gave him tall sons too. I wonder how they felt about their heights. Did I mention how shallow I am?

Oh. You noticed.

Just checking.

When I think of Louella I think of a very physical, thinking woman who never sat still. A woman who loved to use her mind and watched soap operas while she did other people's laundry. I'm a lot like her. Why do some brain-dead activity when you can be entertained at the same time?

I wonder if part of my longing to become a Grandmother myself has to do with the fact that I never got to experience that relationship in this life. Except for with Lilac Holman.

Thank God for Lilac Holman.

Dear Heavenly Father,

Please say "hello" to Lilac for me. Tell her what a wonderful woman she was and thank her for being a part of my life. I love her so much. Say "hi" to my Grandmothers too. I'm sure they peek in on me now and then. I know I don't always make them proud, but I will keep trying. Give them my love. Okay, I will give them my love too by trying harder to be the granddaughter they deserve.

In the name of Jesus, Amen.

I forgot to ask Liz about the poem. Hang in there, my word is good.

No comments: