Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Keturah Button - My Amazing Great Great Grandmother

In the tradition of Native American verbal tradition, I want to pass along this story of my wonderful ancestor. I don't remember where I heard it or even if it is for sure true or not but I couldn't find it anywhere on the internet and it is a great memory of a wonderful person...

Legend holds that Keturah joined the Mormon Church, married a white man, crossed the plains with the Mormons, and was rejected by both the white people and the Native Americans in Utah. Being Iroquois, the Ute, Shoshone and Navaho wanted little to do with her. But they appreciated her cooking. She always kept a pot of beans boiling in her yard and any traveler, white or Indian, was welcome to partake of her generosity. One day, the natives were on their way to massacre the Mormons. They stopped at Katurah’s home for food and while they ate, she talked them out of their killing spree.

Many individuals in my family tree were spared that day. My white Mormon ancestors were from Wales, England, Germany, Scotland and Denmark. Included in the mix was a brave Native American. All I have to do is look in the mirror and I see evidence of Keturah’s strong genetic blueprint. Unlike my adopted Ute brother, I was not fed whiskey in a bottle, yet I share my both my forefathers (and mothers) pain of being both victims and perpetrators of prejudice.

How can I make the world a better place? I strongly feel the need to pass on the legacy of this wonderful woman who did so much good just by doing her thing.

Boiling beans.

Have I mentioned I don't really cook all that well? I made carrot soup the other day for a church thing.

Nobody ate it.

So I took it to school to share with my classmates.

I ate two bowlfuls.

Nobody else touched a drop.

I don't think cooking is my thing. But that's okay.

I love to give. I think that came from Keturah, down the lines through my mother. I remember complimenting Mom on her shoes once and she slipped them off her feet and gave them to me.

How very Native American of her.

Of course, she was also an alcoholic. I'm so proud of you Mom. You took both the bad and good in your genetic make-up and lived an incredible life.

I hope I can follow in all the strong footsteps of my foremothers.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I loved reading this, Lol. Very powerful!

Liz said...

This is beautiful, Lol. I loved reading it!

Liz said...

Carrot soup! You should have invited the Tawny Scrawny Lion!

I think it is funny that you consider yourself a poor cook. You are a very good cook who has greater interest in other things. You are like Mom. She was really good at making a few things that she enjoyed making and was indifferent to the rest. Actually, you are probably a better cook than Mom....when was the last time you scorched a pot of spaghetti sauce? = }