Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Definitions of Religion, Spirituality and Compassion

Instead of watching tv, I'm in grad school. This is an assignment for my social work and religion class...

Religion: "Pure religion made him run" is a line from a poem my Mom wrote about my unselfish, generous, hard working brother-in-law. I think there is a big difference between religion, (a man-made institution) and pure religion (a God-made one). When I think of religion I usually think of a negative feeling associated with men in powerful, coercive positions. I think of groups of people gathering to socialize more than to worship. I think of women dressed up to look good for men, other women and the image they see in the mirror. I think of oppression of race and gender. I think of piety, pulpits and pampas pale power hungry people. I think of oppression of race and gender. When I think of religion, I DON'T think of God. True religion is what SHOULD happen when spirituality and compassion meet. Too often crosses burn, sheets are worn and people are subjugated.

Spirituality: When I think of spirituality, I think of peace. I think of nature and sun, sky and sea. I think of mother painting a beautiful landscape. Nature seems to be the most spiritual promoting environment. The first think I drew was birds flying off against a setting sun. Birds seem to embody man's idea of spirituality. Perhaps that is why Mayans depicted Quetzalquatl as a feathered serpent...because he was a creature of both the earth and the heavens (John Lund). Spirituality is a sense of connecting with those gone before. Communion with loved ones on the other side. At times it is achieved within "sacred" buildings but more often for me. Personally, I connect with things and people of spirit in nature or when reading holy writings and pondering them. It seems like earthly people get in the way in man-made places.

Compassion: The word I see is "passion" which means (in my mind) intense love. I think of service and casseroles. I grew up in a home where whole, matched socks were a luxury. I rarely had them. My love language is gifts. Compassion = shopping for stuff others need. Cleaning is compassionate when it brings peace to others but NOT when it stresses them out. Compassion = letters, written and sent. Words of love that will live on after the author is gone. Unseen service in the form of prayer which motivates the prayer to do more than simply kneel and ask but also rise and act. Compassion is what brings religion and spirituality to the earthly realm.

Poem by my Mom

This and a pair of warm socks to Doug:

Little socks that wrap these feet
Keep them warm andn dry and neat
They'll be going up and down
Doing good all over town

You are small (but you are two)
Try to ease the worker's shoe
Feet will ache when day is done
(Pure religion made then run)

Pure religion, undefied,
Guide the feet of willing child
Makes him toil--oh, more than fair
Just to say, "I truly care".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is really interesting take on the concept. I never thought of it that way. I came across this site recently which I think will be of great use Ministerial Seminary . Have a look!