Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Depression is a Verb

There is a theory by William Glasser called "Choice Theory" which states, "It is therapeutic to view our behavior in terms of verbs. For example, it is more accurate to say to oneself, "I am choosing to depress" instead of thinking, "I am suffering from depression." we are immediately aware that we are choosing to depress, and have the choice to do and feel something else. People who instead say, "I am depressed," mistakenly tend to believe the depressing is beyond their control or it has been caused by something or someone else.

This is a controversial theory, but I think there is lots of truth to it.

2 comments:

Tina said...

The opposite is also true . . . "I can choose to be happy!" Sounds so simple, but a state happiness eludes so many people. Just choose it!

The Roaming Rolfe's said...

I choose to be happy, but my body/hormon levels say other wise. We have to remember that some people really to have an 'illness' that causes them to see things different. Just my 2 cents.