Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Monday, January 25, 2010

God verses Darwin

I've been reading Finding Darwin's God, by Kenneth Miller. Think of the song "I Am a Child of God"...Now try singing this to that familiar tune..."I am the product of natural selection, genetic chance and environmental necessity" I know. It just doesn't sound as good, does it? That's because it leaves out purpose and hope and family. My brain is evolving as I read!!!

Okay, looking over what I wrote and reading it from the perspective of one who doesn't believe in God I recognize that I didn't write that exactly how I meant it. I don't mean to knock anyone else's beliefs. The book I'm reading is about how God and Darwinism fit together. But if you don't believe in God and you need scientific proof and logic for answers, you may feel frustrated at someone belittling your beliefs. I never want to do that. I truly believe we all have the right to our own opinions.

I guess I just want to be free to have mine, too!

My belief in the other side has so much to do with the emotional connection I feel with friends and family members who have gone before. I don't want here and now to be all there is.

"This is one of the hardest lessons for humans to learn. We cannot admit that things might be neither good nor evil, neither cruel nor kind, but simply callous - indifferent to all suffering, lacking all purpose."

Richard Dawkins...


I 'get' that lots of people can't fit science with religion. I'm not a serious student of hard science. I'm just reading a book and had a thought.

Here is how I see it:

If there isn't a God
and a life after this one
I haven't lost anything by believing there is.
and I've gained everything if I believe and there is.

Of course, I've been told that I may miss out on life experiences by limiting my belief and my actions to what fits in with my religious beliefs. The ole' "Eat, Drink and be Merry" idea. If this life is all there is, I should enjoy it.

But I do enjoy. I live within certain limits and boundaries and I get to enjoy the experience of home, family, stimulating conversation, intimacy, love in all its forms, and a connection with heaven.

I eat my veggies, I drink milk, and I am merry with my friends and fam without the use of mind altering substances.

My life is full.

No comments: