Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Day 16

September 12, 2009

Here I am in Provo, taking care of my baby girl. I can't help but wonder if all of the angst I had about Brianne leaving was partly premonition about Pearl's accident.

Silly little Pearl. Majoring in neuroscience. Spent the summer studying brains that got shook up in accidents and did NOT wear a bike helmet.

Ah, the cluelessness of youth.

But she will be okay.

Alternative activity to television has been reading The Scarlett Letter. I wonder if my mother was named after the Pearl who was Hester Prynne's daughter. An interesting notion. The personalities fit Nathaniel Hawthorne's description of what a "Pearl" should be. Precious, priceless and beautiful because of that imperfection that is coated over with beauty.

I wonder how much thought Nathaniel Hawthorne gave to the naming of his characters. Did he even think about the analogy of the origins of a pearl and who the daughter became?

Interesting notion.

No comments: