Aunt Lollie and baby Jake

Aunt Lollie and baby Jake
I can't wait to be a Grandma!!!

Followers

Friday, September 4, 2009

A Year of Living Cableless Day 7 and 8

Day 5
Sept 3, 2009
I'm doing everything in my power to inspire them to become readers. Not having cable tv has done wonders for their motivation to be entertained in other ways. I look forward to reading to them every night. We are six chapters into Book of Mormon Stories. We read one chapter of that and one of The Outsiders every night after toothbrushing, prayers and jammies. Christian fancies himself Ponyboy...thoughtful and blond when he would rather not be. Joseph has no problem being tuff Sodapop while Douglas fills the football playing, hard working, tough as nails, big brother Darry type. It is amazing to be reading these two books and contrast the difference in the relationships between brothers who love each other and treat each other with respect and kindness. The irony is that the Book of Mormon Stories is where we read about the bad boy brothers and the contemporary fiction novel is where we read about brothers who stick together no matter what. Yet it is in the pages of the Book of Mormon that the subtle AND obvious lessons are taught and the messages are given through the launguage of scripture. It is interesting to me how much the boys look forward to reading The Outsiders. I think perhaps part of being on the Autism Spectrum makes stories that explain culture fascinating to them.

Day 6
Sept 4, 2009
I got everyone out of the house this morning and settled into some serious puttering. I found it incredibly frustrating not to have TV to flip on. I longed for the mindless babble of commercials and the informative voices letting me know what was going on out there in the real world. Then I realized the television world is actually less real than the one in which I live. And there are other voices. I flipped on the radio...
yes, you read right...RADIO!!! Who knew???
First I went to an A.M. channel and was informed of basic Montana importance, like the fact that we can gamble on live horse racing. Wahoo. I listened to a couple of beer commercials and flipped around the stations. I found out we finally had Michael Jackson's Funeral. Um. Didn't he die a LONG time ago??? Is that really news?? I don't have to wonder to much about what his reception in heaven was like. I think people like Michael and Farrah get a very different reception than the Ben Lymans. Now THAT must be an amazing celebration. Maybe they had to put off Michael's funeral because all the angels are too busy welcoming Ben Home.
I kept station surfing.
Every form of Country music ever written is available on Montana radio. Not that THAT is a bad thing. I've been known to teach aerobics to Randy Travis. I got some crazy looks from the gals in my class in East Cleveland but there is not another song that works out your thighs as well as...I got some, ocean front property in Ar-i-zo-na...
But I was in need of distraction. Something to occupy my brain while I did brainless activity like wipe off counters, sweep floors, load dishwasher, etc.
I found a brainful on F.M...National Public Radio. The answer to braindead activity everywhere. I learned about Post Tramatic Stress Disorder and how baby rats can let go of bad memories better than adult ones can and so there is this new therapy that costs too much because it isn't as well known as bandaids yet.
I got lots of work done.

No comments: